Let me introduce myself...

My photo
I'm a stay at home mother to 3 beautiful children who provide my with a great deal of joy, and I have a wonderful husband who works very hard to provide for us. Life with 3 young children can be very chaotic and stressful at times. However, I have found that with a little (or a lot) or planning and organization, life can be a lot simpler and happier. I like to refer to this as 'organized chaos!' So now that we're acquainted, why don't you make yourself a nice hot cup of tea, relax and sit down and browse through my blog. Please feel free to drop me a line :)

Sunday, April 10, 2011

A bounty of fresh goodies

I made the trip to our local fruit market yesterday, something which I have not done in quite some time as quite often it can be very hit and miss as to the quality of the produce they have. However, an advertisement in the local paper advertising some extremely good specials made me curious and decided the specials were too good to not go and have just a tiny peek.

I arrived to a place bursting with people who had decided to check out the specials as well. There were the usual rude people pushing in, and trying to protect the current pile of produce they were rummaging through in fear that you would come and gather all the 'good ones' before they could. The queues at the cash registers were halfway up each aisle... however, it was all worth it as I collected quite a bounty!

I spent a grand total of $32.50, however, the amount of fresh produce I purchased for this amount is amazing, considering the fact that fruit and vegetables purchased in the 'stupidmarkets' (aka supermarkets for those of you sitting at home scratching your heads) would have been at least triple the price I paid. I'd hate to think how much it would have cost if I'd bought them at the stupidmarket instead. But then, in all honesty, I probably would not have bought anywhere near as much because of the cost, and then my family would have missed out on all the lovely fresh produce.

So, for $32.50, here is what I bought... (there was also a 10kg bag of washed potatoes which I forgot to put in the picture!)



  • 1 dozen eggs - $1.99
  • 500g mushrooms - $3.20 ($6.99kg)
  • 3 lemons - $0.27 ($0.49kg)
  • 10kg washed potatoes - $4.99 (83 potatoes... yes I counted them!)
  • Lettuce - $0.89
  • 11 apples - $0.81 ($0.49kg)
  • 3 corn cobs - $2.00
  • 9 garlic cloves - $2.49
  • 5 florets of brocolli - $2.26 ($1.50kg)
  • Rockmelon - $0.99
  • Bunch of spring onions - $1.29
  • Half a watermelon - $2.27 (0.99kg)
  • 12 carrots - $1.94 ($0.99kg)
  • 1.4kg seedless grapes - $2.80 ($1.99kg)
  • 8 tomatoes - $0.47 ($0.99kg)
  • 6 plums - $0.72 ($0.99kg)
  • 3 onions - $0.51 ($1.49kg)
  • 2 green capsicums - $0.97 ($1.49kg)
  • 3 zucchini - $1.65 ($1.99kg)

Not a bad days shopping, and definately made it worthwhile making the effort to check out the fruit market again. Think I'll have to get back into the habit of making the trip down there in future!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave me a comment, suggestion or tip of your own :)